Re: [nsp] Cisco Router statistics collection and reporting software

From: Alex Bligh (amb@gxn.net)
Date: Wed Mar 04 1998 - 17:35:24 EST

> Understanding that I'm a tad biased, but I like the netflow-export
> statistics, quite frankly.
>
> I'll bite my tongue here and let someone who is actually using this
> in an operational network comment on it's effectiveness.

Use MRTG or HP-Openview to look at how much data goes through what
interface at what time. Use Netflow to get a good idea of where the
bul of it is going to and from (never captures 100% of the information
it seems). Use ip accounting and/or ip access list with log to track
down individual usage elements (security etc.).

MRTG is certainly easy to use and draws pretty graphs. I have not deployed
it on a very large collection scale. HP/OV has good SNMP spacing and
collection stuff. It would be possible to use MRTG from OV data though
we don't do this.

But Paul is right - Netflow is very useful.

--
Alex Bligh
GX Networks (formerly Xara Networks)