[nsp] How to pump 300Mbps through multiple 100FE's to a single device?

From: cheops POP (giza@cheops.mv.com)
Date: Tue Sep 15 1998 - 10:30:16 EDT

Without using FastEtherChannel how can I cram 300Mbps through
multiple 100FE's to say an Alteon Switch 180? Secondary to
that is will my path end up running all the way through the
RSP code logic (in other words will I ever achieve wire speed?)
Bogus picture ensues:

                   [Whatever] could be 5500/75XX/GSR you tell me
                    | |..|
                    | |..|
                    | |..|
                   [Alteon] server load balancing done here
                    |..
                    |..
                    |..
                  [www]..

The real issue is how is the load balancing at the "whatever"
level going be done. I want to make sure that a single MAC
that may be responsible for say 60% of the traffic doesn't
overload one of the logical channels that is why amongst other
things FEC won't work. I spoke to someone who suggested trying
ISL encapsulation, but was not sure of the performance hit, any
clues would be greatly appreciated.

-pete

Peter E. Giza
Black Pearl Software & Consulting Inc.