PPPoE problems

From: Joe McGuckin (joe@monk.via.net)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 19:54:15 EDT

I'm using PPPoE on a 7206VXR300 to terminate about 100 active sessions.

Basic connectivity and authentication is working. I am seeing some problems
with connecting to unix ftp servers. Downloads are slow and bursty (for example,
an initial burst of traffic followed by several seconds on inactivity, then
another burst of traffic). Performing the downloads on the lan downstream of the
pppoe router (but without using pppoe) produces a fast, continous download.

Most of the end users are using PPPoE routers manufactired by Netgear or DLINK.
I've demonstrated the problem with at least 2 different brands of routers.

Does PPPoE cause problems with MTU settings?

Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks,

Joe

--

Joe McGuckin

ViaNet Communications 994 San Antonio Road Palo Alto, CA 94303

Phone: 650-213-1302 Cell: 650-207-0372 Fax: 650-969-2124