[nsp] AS5300 voice DSP trouble

From: Blaz Zupan (blaz@inlimbo.org)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 02:57:45 EST

We've recently upgraded our AS5300 voice gateway with another voice feature
card. After the upgrade, show version shows the expected

60 DSP(s), 120 Voice resource(s)

After that, I went on to configure resource reporting to our gatekeeper and
then issued a "show call resources voice stats":

Resource Monitor - Dial-up Resource Statistics Information:

DSP Statistics:

Utilization: 30 percent
Total channels: 60
Inuse channels: 18
Disabled channels: 0
Pending channels: 0
Free channels: 42

DS0 Statistics:

Utilization: 13 percent
Total channels: 124
Addressable channels: 120
Inuse channels: 16
Disabled channels: 0
Free channels: 104

What bothered me very much was the "Total channels" for the DSP statistics.
How can it be 60 channels, if we have 120 channels available? So I
investigated further and found this:

at.vgw#show vfc 2 int

 Rx: in ptr 22, outptr 0
 Tx: in ptr 17 outptr 17
 0 in hw queue, 0 queue head , 0 queue tail
 Hardware is VFC out-of-band channel
 Interface : state RESET DSP instance (0x620DE608)
     dsp_number 0, Channel ID 0
     tx outstanding 0, max tx outstanding 0
 Received 22 packets, 1269 bytes, 0 giant packets
 0 drops, 0 no buffers, 0 input errors
 148 bytes output, 17 frames output
 0 bounce errors 0
DSP module 1 is not installed
DSP module 2 is not installed
DSP module 3 is not installed
DSP module 4 is not installed
DSP module 5 is not installed

Huh? No DSP modules installed? So, none of the DSP modules on our newly
installed VFC are working (yes, the DSP's are actually there). So how come
"show version" shows us 120 voice channels? And how come that "show vfc 2
board" shows the card as up with 30 voice resources (60 channels):

at.vgw#show vfc 2 board
VFC board state is UP, vfc status VCWARE running(0x4)
VFC board in slot 2 with 30 dsps

Does anybody have an idea what might be going on here? IOS on the box is
12.2(5), with the corresponding VCware 7.36 on both VFC's. We also tried IOS
12.1(7) and VCware 5.12 with the same result.

Any help will be much appreciated.