Re: Has anyone run POS modules?

From: Simon Leinen (simon@limmat.switch.ch)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 12:34:30 EST

> I'd like to know what kind of performance/stability people have
> experienced. Thanks,

We have two NetIron 400s (small chassis) with 2*OC48 (2.4 Gb/s) POS
boards. One is in Geneva and the other is in Zurich. There's an
STM-16c (SDH) connection through a carrier network connecting the
routers. We only use one of the ports on each POS board.

Stability of the POS linecards has been good, but we don't send much
real traffic over the link yet. However, a few days ago we had an
issue with one interface not coming up on its own after the router had
to be power-cycled after a hard crash. I'm not sure what the carrier
has done to the link while the router was down, so I don't know
whether this is actually the router's fault.

So far we haven't been able to send more than about 1.05 Gb/s over the
link using traffic from two Linux PCs connected to two Gigabit
Ethernet ports on the Management module. Each PC can generate close
to line rate using UDP. We're currently trying to find out where the
bottleneck is and whether it can be fixed.

Regards,

--
Simon.