Juniper-Cisco E3 incompatibility

From: Blaz Zupan (blaz@amis.net)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 00:38:20 EDT

We have two E3 links between a M5 and a Cisco 75xx on one link and a 7206VXR
on another link. In the past couple of months it has happened 3 times that one
of the links suddenly went down, while the physical link itself was actually
up. Looking at the "show interface" output on the Juniper told me that there
is a "YLW" alaram (yellow alarm). Reseting the interface with "clear
interface" on the Cisco or deactivating/activating it on the Juniper cleared
it up. Any idea what might be going on here? Cisco is running 12.2(7a) while
Juniper is on 5.1R1.4. I have a feeling there is a compatibility problem, as
the configuration below is the only one that actually works (scrambling turned
on and dsu mode 1 on the Cisco / compatibility mode kentrox on the Juniper).
Has anybody seen problems like this on a Cisco-Juniper E3 link?

Configuration on Cisco is like this:

interface Serial2/0
  ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252
  framing g751