Re: [j-nsp] L2 VPN examples

From: steve ulrich (sulrich@botwerks.org)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 18:02:26 EDT

When last we saw our hero (Thursday, Jul 26, 2001),
 Andy Walden was madly tapping out:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Walter De Smedt wrote:
>
> > ...and what about the (competing) martini-draft? I guess customer demand
> > will increase for this implementation since the competition (cisco,
> > riverstone, e.a.) are implementing martini and not kompella (to my
> > knowledge).
>
> True, but Junipers really aren't designed to be an LER anyway. You
> can put a Riverstone on the edge and run martini across the Juniper as
> the LSR just fine. Using the right tool for the right job ;)

uhh- i'm not following the logic there. if the JNPR's aren't to be
LER's why bother having L2/MPLS encapsulation on them? i'm not
looking to argue the densities and functionality i'm just curious as
to where you came to the conclusion that the JNPR's aren't designed to
be LER's.

L2/MPLS functionality is a pretty moot point in the core of the
network. you don't care what the labelled encapsulations are you're
just switching based on label.

--
steve ulrich                                    sulrich@botWerks.org
pgp:   8D 0B 0E E9 E7 00 A6 CF  AB A7 AE 5F 4F D4 07 C9  13 3B FA FC