[j-nsp] QoS / traffic recognition

From: Nicolas FEVRIER (nicolas.fevrier@free.fr)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 16:41:07 EDT

Hi,

we have ethernet users connected a juniper box and I'm trying
to configure the JunOS to tag data flows (well-known UDP/TCP
ports) with IP precedence field in order to use CoS at bottleneck
points.
I want to assign IP Prec to
- "signaling" traffic : Prec 110 (which is default value for
routing data)
- "real-time" traffic : Prec 101
- "application critical" traffic : Prec 010
- "best effort" traffic : Prec 000

In the JunOS documentation (Sean Capshaw Application Note, ...)
the incoming traffic has been tagged by others means, but it
seems difficult to classify traffic and tag it correctly (something
quite easy to configure in a Cisco box).

The only "solution" I found is to use a firewall filter policer to
identify
layer 4 traffic and assign this traffic to an output-queue.
Then, to use the precedence-rewrite to tag the output-queue traffic.
Not sure it will work...

Does anybody know how to do it ?

Thanxx all,

Nicolas.