[j-nsp] Question on creating a custom RIB

From: Jeff Harrington (jharring@nysernet.org)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 09:45:46 EDT

All,
         I'm trying to do a workaround on my network to get non-active BGP
routes (I'll explain why) to one of my customers. CCC doesn't look like it
will work, so I'm looking to create a new RIB in the hope I can do
this. I'm looking for any information from people who may have tried this
- I would rather not play on a production network if I don't have to.

I have a M20 with multiple peers and customers connected to it. One of my
peers is my preferred route, and the second is an ATM PVC that is a backup
for most of my customers. A new customer was recently connected that
cannot connect to my primary transit provider, so I need to get the routes
from the secondary to them. We have the secondary set up with a local-pref
of 10, and would prefer to keep it that way if at all possible -
unfortunitely this keeps the routes from that provider from being placed in
the active table, so they don't get readvertised. The new customer (and
others soon to be connected with the same situation) are all POS OC3. I've
seen that you can only do CCC between like interfaces so I can't do that
between the ATM peer and the POS customers (please correct me if I'm wrong)

What I would like to do is send the routes from the backup peer to a new
RIB and export that to this customer. The customers that would need this
would be the only people seeing this routing table, so it hopefully won't
break my normal routing. Looking at the Juniper web page, I got the
documentation for creating a new routing table, and some documentation on
an option for bgp-rib, but it wasn't terribly helpful.

We could also do a tunnel for this, but I am looking to avoid that if I can.

(In case anyone is wondering why I can't connect these customers up
normally, the main provider I have is Abilene, and that is a difficult
provider to connect to in some cases. The second provider is vBNS, which
is less restrictive)

Thanks in advance for any help people can provide.

Jeff

Jeff Harrington Network Engineer
NYSERNet 100 Elwood Davis Road
315.413.0345 x5858 jharring@nysernet.org