RE: [j-nsp] Can RED be applied to MPLS traffic?

From: Gary Tate (gtate@juniper.net)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 14:42:01 EDT

Hi Andrew,

Yes you can use WRED on MPLS traffic:

If you set the LSB (3'rd) of the EXP bits to 1 on a preceding router then
the downstream router will set the PLP (packet loss priority) bit for this
packet to 1, when the packet is received on input. (This is the same for IP
packets TOS field LSB)

WRED can then be used as normal.

Details can be found in the configuration manual for interfaces under the
CoS section: Rewrite the IP Precedence Bits (which also covers MPLS).

Gary Tate