RE: [j-nsp] Extranet in MPLS VPNs

From: Bala Subrahmanyam Venkata (bsubrahm@doradosoftware.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 16:19:19 EDT

Thanx for the response Gary. I have some questions along the same lines.

Does Juniper's implementation then mandates that for every site that needs
to be in more than one VPN it must have its routes in a separate VRF routing
instance ? For eg., if

VPN A has sites Site1, Site2 and Site3
VPN B has Site1 and Site2

(assumption: Site1, Site2 & Site3 are attached to the same PE router. Each
has its own CE Router in its site pointing to the PE.)

then, it means Site1 & Site2 routes will be in a VRF routing instance
("S1-S2") and Site3 routes will be in another VRF routing instance ("S3").

If Site1 again, becomes a part of some other VPN C, then a VRF routing
instance is created for Site1 ("S1"). Also "S1-S2" routing instance is
edited such that it contains only routes from Site2. VRF routing instance
"S3" will still contain routes from Site3.

And if there is a Site4 also having memberships to VPN A and VPN B, then its
routes are in "S1-S2" VRF routing instance ??

> >P.S. A comment on the doc. Calling the sites as "VPNA", "VPNB"
> >and "VPNAB"
> >is confusing. Perhaps you can choose a better name that describes the
> >scenario ?
>
> I will send this on the appropriate people internally. Do you have any
> suggestions for names?

Just call them Site A, Site B and Site AB. (BTW, I assume your "VPNAB" is a
whole another site and does not mean that either Site A or Site B CE Router
has an additional interface now on the PE...is that right ?)

EOM.

/bala