RE: Per packet load balancing -- 2nd try

From: Guy Davies (Guy.Davies@telindus.co.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 04:23:53 EDT

Hi Andrew,

There's a pretty good explanation of the behaviour on Juniper's
website. Just go to http://www.juniper.net/ and put "per packet load
balancing" in the search pane.

The Generic Routing Config pdf has a good explanation at
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos50/swconfig50-routing/do
wnload/routing-generic-config.pdf

In short, the behaviour differs based on whether you use an IP I or
an IP II.

With an IP I, you get what I would consider true per packet load
sharing... i.e. packets are placed onto each path in a round-robin
basis.

With an IP II, you get something more like per-flow load sharing...
i.e. each new flow is randomly associated with a next-hop and, until
there is a routing update, it persists with that next-hop.

Regards,

Guy