[j-nsp] [j-nsp] strange ATM speed

From: Jonathan Tse (jonathantse@pacific.net.sg)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 12:18:14 EST

Hi all,

I am experiencing a strange ATM problem. A 50Mbps CBR pipe is configured at
a M5, which runs Junos 5.0r2, and connects to an ATM switch. If I enable
traffic shaping at ATM switch, 50Mbps CBR as well, it reports there is large
number of cell drop. We have tried the same setting at another M5 which is
running Junos 4.4r1.5 plus the ATM switch but there is no cell drop!

Additionally, if I lower the cbr speed to 45Mbps at router end -OR- increase
the cbr speed at ATM switch to 56Mbps, no cell drop again!

I don't think it is the fiber problem as the router & switch are just next
to each other and no LOS, LOF, etc...

Any comment? What troubleshooting I should do next? Thanks!

at-0/1/0 {
    atm-options {
        vpi 2 maximum-vcs 120;
    }
    unit 0 {
        encapsulation atm-snap;
        vci 2.101;
        shaping {
            cbr 45m;
        }
        oam-period 10;
        family inet {
        }
    }
}

regards,
Jonathan Tse,
network engineer, Pacific Internet Singapore,
NOC: 65-8721010, DID: 65-7710843, FAX: 65-8726674