Re: [j-nsp] Cisco equivilant to an M5?

From: Niels Bakker (niels=juniper-nsp@bakker.net)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 15:39:34 EST

* opsys@voodooland.net (Chris Watson) [Thu 06 Dec 2001, 21:07 CET]:
> I'm redoing the local cable companies network and have them sold on an M5,
> but they would just like to see what an equivilant Cisco model is price and
> muscle wise is. I havent followed cisco in a long time. Anyone know what a
> comparable cisco router would be to an M5?

With the risk of sounding blunt, but have you thought of asking a local
Cisco sales person? The information package that resellers get is
pretty informational in this respect; the package comes with a binder
with comparisons between various Cisco equipment and the counterparts of
several other hardware vendors like 3Com, Lucent, Foundry and of course
Juniper.

I don't have that binder in my possession, otherwise I'd quote it to
you, of course, but if you're not loading your M5 full with GigE
interfaces (i.e. you're not going to use anywhere near its full
forwarding capacity) a Cisco 7206 or 7507 might just stand in its shadow.

Regards,

        -- Niels.