Re: Junos 5.0 LDP Discovery Messages

From: Jesper Skriver (jesper@skriver.dk)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 16:59:33 EST

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 02:13:37PM -0700, Tyler.Wessels@Level3.com wrote:
> All,
> LDP discovery messages are sent as a UDP packet to the LDP port at the
> group multicast address for all routers on the subnet. When ldp-tunneling is
> turned on LDP treats the RSVP signaled LSPs as single hops. This allows an
> LDP speaker to establish a session with the router at the far end of the
> RSVP signaled LSP.
> The Junos manual says that LDP control packets are routed hop-by-hop
> rather than carried through the LSP. How does a UDP packet destined for a
> Multicast address get routed to the LDP speaker at the end of the RSVP
> signaled LSP if it's not being sent over the RSVP signaled LSP ?

Without having tested it myself, I'd say it just unicast's to the remote
neighbor.

> Snippet from the interfaces, class of service and firewall manual (5.0):
> When you configure the router to run LDP across RSVP-established LSPs, LDP
> will automatically establish sessions with the router at the other end of
> the LSP. LDP control packets are routed hop-by-hop, rather than carried
> through the LSP. This allows you to use simplex (one-way) traffic-engineered
> LSPs. Traffic in the opposite direction flows through LDP-established LSPs
> that follow unicast routing rather than through traffic-engineered tunnels.

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)

One Unix to rule them all, One Resolver to find them, One IP to bring them all and in the zone to bind them.