RE: Junos 5.0 LDP Discovery Messages

From: Tyler.Wessels@Level3.com
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 14:44:45 EST

I found the answer in RFC 3036 ... They're targeted.

3036

2.4. LDP Discovery

   LDP discovery is a mechanism that enables an LSR to discover
   potential LDP peers. Discovery makes it unnecessary to explicitly
   configure an LSR's label switching peers.

   There are two variants of the discovery mechanism:

      - A basic discovery mechanism used to discover LSR neighbors that
         are directly connected at the link level.

      - An extended discovery mechanism used to locate LSRs that are
         not directly connected at the link level.

2.4.1. Basic Discovery Mechanism

   To engage in LDP Basic Discovery on an interface an LSR periodically
   sends LDP Link Hellos out the interface. LDP Link Hellos are sent as
   UDP packets addressed to the well-known LDP discovery port for the
   "all routers on this subnet" group multicast address.

   An LDP Link Hello sent by an LSR carries the LDP Identifier for the
   label space the LSR intends to use for the interface and possibly
   additional information.

   Receipt of an LDP Link Hello on an interface identifies a "Hello
   adjacency" with a potential LDP peer reachable at the link level on
   the interface as well as the label space the peer intends to use for
   the interface.

2.4.2. Extended Discovery Mechanism

   LDP sessions between non-directly connected LSRs are supported by LDP
   Extended Discovery.

   To engage in LDP Extended Discovery an LSR periodically sends LDP
   Targeted Hellos to a specific address. LDP Targeted Hellos are sent
   as UDP packets addressed to the well-known LDP discovery port at the
   specific address.

   An LDP Targeted Hello sent by an LSR carries the LDP Identifier for
   the label space the LSR intends to use and possibly additional
   optional information.

   Extended Discovery differs from Basic Discovery in the following
   ways:

      - A Targeted Hello is sent to a specific address rather than to
         the "all routers" group multicast address for the outgoing
         interface.

      - Unlike Basic Discovery, which is symmetric, Extended Discovery
         is asymmetric.

         One LSR initiates Extended Discovery with another targeted LSR,
         and the targeted LSR decides whether to respond to or ignore
         the Targeted Hello. A targeted LSR that chooses to respond
         does so by periodically sending Targeted Hellos to the
         initiating LSR.

   Receipt of an LDP Targeted Hello identifies a "Hello adjacency" with
   a potential LDP peer reachable at the network level and the label