Re: [j-nsp] Traffic policing question

From: Dmitri Kalintsev (dek@hades.uz)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 18:43:20 EDT

I believe that traffic policing is roughly equal to CAR in Cisco terms,
which is only effective when you have *many* TCP streams on the wire. I
don't think you'll get traffic-shaping on Juniper boxes, because traffic
shaping implies *a lot* of buffering and it's not vaible on interfacse
faster than certain level (I guess, it's something close to 100Mbps), and
Juniper boxen are designed to handle rather biggish amounts of traffic.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 11:02:35PM -1000, Robert Brewer wrote:
> We recently had a demo M5 unit and I was trying to test the traffic policing
> features of JUNOS. Really what we want to do is replicate the traffic-shape
> functionality found in Cisco IOS. For example:
>
> interface FastEthernet0/0
> description LavaNet Fast Ethernet LAN
> [...]
> traffic-shape group 106 1000000 500000 500000 1000
> !
> access-list 106 permit tcp host X.XX.XXX.X any eq nntp
> access-list 106 deny ip any any

SY,

--
 CCNP, CCDP (R&S)                          Dmitri E. Kalintsev
 CDPlayer@irc               Network Architect @ connect.com.au