Re: M5 throughput question

From: Greg Ketell (gketell@juniper.net)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 19:57:51 EDT

At 07:16 AM 6/26/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 04:31:04PM -0700, Greg Ketell wrote:
> > You should be talking to your account team. They can provide you the
> > information you are looking for.
>
>Hmm, this sounds strangely familiar. ;) Is this kind of thing that is
>usually covered by NDA? ;)

Yes. Usually because there is no simple answer. I could tell you that you
could configure 100,000 logical interfaces. Or I could say "only a few
hundred". Does this help you? No. You need more details. And we need
more details to be able to give you a "safe" answer. Ie are you planning
on having routing protocols on each interface?; How about VPNs? How about
VLANs? The answers to those questions change the answers to "how many
interfaces will you support?".

>I don't have an account and thus no account team
>to talk to. We don't have any Juniper devices. All I'm doing is gathering
>critical information which may or may not affect some of none of our future
>plans.

Your local team would be happy to chat with you to help you decide. You
can find the team responsible for you at
<http://www.juniper.net/contactus.html>.

> > As you implied, 4090 X physical-interfaces is not realistic.
>
>I know. So, what is IDB limit on JunOS? (If it's called something else than
>IDB, please tell me what it's called and what is its relevant limit). ;)

I can't. Suffice it to say that it is several multiples higher than you
are used to.

GK