RE: [j-nsp] Enhanced CoS features on M5/M10

From: MPuras@solunet.com
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 14:40:02 EST

The features you see on this link are specific to what the FPC can support.
Typically with the new routers you will see the FPC-E being used. As of
Junos 5.1 With the Enhance-FPC, you can do Priority Queuing, you can have 16
Drop Profiles versus 2 with the regaular FPC, The drop profiles are
configurable per Queue and they support the use of TCP bit.

As far as how it works on the chassi, here is the basics:

Inbound packet-->BA-->MF-->Scheduler-->Queuing

BA (Behavior Aggregate - traffic classifier) is done on the FPC
        There are 4 types of BA: DSCP, IPv4 Presedence bit (default), IEEE
802.1q, and MPLS EXP bits
MF (Multifield Classifier--Policy or filter to overwrite Forwarding Class)
is done on the IPII
As you enter the Outgoing FPC, Scheduling is done
As you are leaving the FPC, queing is done, RED profiles are applied and if
need to, Rewite the bits.

Thanks,

Mario Puras
JNCIS, CCNA, LSCP, MCP
SoluNet Technical Support
Customer Support Engineer
Mailto: mpuras@solunet.com
888.449.5766 (USA) / 888.SOLUNET (Canada)