RE: [j-nsp] two VPN sites and CCC

From: Joe Lin (jlin@doradosoftware.com)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 12:25:41 EST

Hrrm..

So are you saying, even tho L2-Kompella is all about
Layer2, you can only do IP??

Hence, on a Juniper router running JunOS 5.2R1, if
you mix and match ATM and Frame, it will only work
for IP traffic even tho it is l2vpn??

thanks

-joe

---- Guy Davies <Guy.Davies@telindus.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> I described l2vpn (along with its pros and cons) in
my email. Which
> specific case are you asking about?
>
> Basically, if you want to use the same
encapsulation at both ends,
> l2vpn is L3 protocol agnostic. However, if you
want to do
> interworking (say between ATM and PPP), you can
only carry IP. It's
> all in the draft which I referenced in my earlier
email.

> Martini specifies that the encapsulation must be
the same at both
> ends and has, AFAIK, no mechanism for interworking.
>
> CCC has the new encapsulation types (ending in -
tcc) which allow you
> to do translation between ATM, FR and PPP (not sure
about cisco-hdlc
> and I know that it currently excludes ethernet). I
can't remember
> what the limitations are wrt the L3 traffic.
>
> Regards,
>
> Guy

instead
> > of CCC also in this case?
> >

> > ---- Guy Davies <Guy.Davies@telindus.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Hi Sophia

the
> > trick
Since
> > CCC is
on
> > interesting

> > mention "recently...
JUNOS
> > latest
> > >
> > > Yes. It's in 5.2.

HDLC..."
> > but
encapsulation
> > for

traffic
> > using
i.e. one
for
> > my IPX
> > >
> > > That's correct. It's a feature of the l2vpn
draft
> > > (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-
kompella-
> > ppvpn-l2vpn-01.txt
> > > ) rather than a feature/failing of Juniper's
> > implementation. :-)

only
> > want to

> > is "NO
> > same, I
> > right?
> > >
> > > Yes. For similar encapsulations, the L3
protocol
> > is irrelevant.
> > > Unfortunately, for the interworking, the L3
> > protocol must be IP.

> > probably
right?
> > Or it
> > >
> > > Well. I don't know if the CCC interworking
> > solution would support
> > > IPX either. I haven't had any customers asking
> > do IPX over L2
> > > VPNs (in general, rather than l2vpn
specifically)
> > before and the
> > > interworking is so new that I can't say I've
tried

wrote:

> > supporting L2
IPX