RE: [j-nsp] two VPN sites and CCC

From: Guy Davies (Guy.Davies@telindus.co.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 04:09:39 EST

Hi Joe,

I described l2vpn (along with its pros and cons) in my email. Which
specific case are you asking about?

Basically, if you want to use the same encapsulation at both ends,
l2vpn is L3 protocol agnostic. However, if you want to do
interworking (say between ATM and PPP), you can only carry IP. It's
all in the draft which I referenced in my earlier email.

Martini specifies that the encapsulation must be the same at both
ends and has, AFAIK, no mechanism for interworking.

CCC has the new encapsulation types (ending in -tcc) which allow you
to do translation between ATM, FR and PPP (not sure about cisco-hdlc
and I know that it currently excludes ethernet). I can't remember
what the limitations are wrt the L3 traffic.

Regards,

Guy