RE: [j-nsp] two VPN sites and CCC

From: Joe Lin (jlin@doradosoftware.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 07:18:00 EST

Couldn't L2-VPN based on draft-kompella work instead
of CCC also in this case?

nsp@puck.nether.net
> > Subject: RE: [j-nsp] two VPN sites and CCC
> >

> > > Hi Sophia,
> > >
> > > Other L2 VPN technologies should also do the
trick
> > > (e.g. martini,
> > > l2vpn and gre, as mentioned by Dave). Since
CCC is
> > > not based on a
> > > standard, it is likely to be available only on
> > > networks using Juniper
> > > at the edge. CCC has recently had some
interesting
> > > new capabilities
> > > added which allow it to connect diverse
> > > encapsulations (e.g. ATM to
> > > FR or PPP to FR but, unfortunately, not yet
> > > including Enet).
> > >

> > Hello,
> >
> > "First, thank you for all your help."
> >
> > That's good to hear. When you
mention "recently...
> > new capability added...", do you mean in JUNOS
latest
> > 5.2 code?
>
> Yes. It's in 5.2.
>
> > I just read through the release note and it
> > says "Layer 2 VPN interwokring for PPP, HDLC..."
but
> > it also
> > mentions "Enables you to configure encapsulation
for
> > transmitting IPv4."
> >
> > Does that mean I cannot transmit my IPX traffic
using
> > the Layer 2 VPN interwokring capability - i.e. one
> > side of my link is ppp and the other is F/R for
my IPX
> > traffic?
>
> That's correct. It's a feature of the l2vpn draft
> (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kompella-
ppvpn-l2vpn-01.txt
> ) rather than a feature/failing of Juniper's
implementation. :-)

> > > Martini and l2vpn are limited to similar
> > > encapsulations at both ends
> > > of the VPN (the l2vpn draft does provide for
> > > interworking of
> > > differing encapsulations so long as you only
want to
> > > carry IP but
> > > that doesn't meet your requirements).
> > >

> > This sounds the answer for the above question
is "NO
> > for my IPX traffic. But if my two links are
same, I
> > can use Martini or l2vpn for my IPX traffic,
right?

> Yes. For similar encapsulations, the L3 protocol
is irrelevant.
> Unfortunately, for the interworking, the L3
protocol must be IP.

> > The CCC recently added interworking solution
probably
> > is the best even it is not the standard, right?
Or it
> > is just part of l2vpn solution for doing
> > encapsulation.
>
> Well. I don't know if the CCC interworking
solution would support
> IPX either. I haven't had any customers asking to
do IPX over L2
> VPNs (in general, rather than l2vpn specifically)
before and the
> interworking is so new that I can't say I've tried
it.