Re: KA9Q NOS protocol number?

From: Antonio Querubin (tony@lava.net)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 23:16:37 EST

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Jonathan Tse wrote:

> thanks. From the rfc 1700, protocol number 4 and 94 are for ipip. How would
> I know which is the one that juniper/cisco is referring to?
>
> Is it the reason why cisco use "ipinip" to represent 4 and "nos" to
> represent 94?

Yes. If I recall correctly, the way it evolved was that KA9Q NOS was
using 93 for AX.25 in IP encapsulation. Phil then added IP IP
encapsulation not realizing that protocol 4 was already available for that
purpose. He chose 94 as it was the next unused number at the time and the
AMPRNet gateways standardized on 94 for a short while.