RE: ssh on JunOs 4.2 / XCompiler

From: Greg Ketell (gketell@juniper.net)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 17:07:15 EST

At 04:46 PM 2/1/2001 -0500, Martin, Christian wrote:

>I would be very suprised if the current shell tools available in JunOS
>aren't ALL open source based.

And frequently re-tuned.

>Or are there a team of programmers
>responsible for maintaining the shell

Yes. And it's interaction with other parts of the system.

>, when their efforts and the company's
>resources that drive them would both be better spent perfecting the
>important code in the router?

They do that too. Understand, the LONG term goal is to be able to
eliminate the need for the shell. Anytime you have to go to the shell to
accomplish something you should open a case with JTAC so the feature can be
added to the CLI.

> And, why would a shell tool break routing?

If you run out of memory due to a shell-tool memory leak, you are out of
memory for everything. If your shell-tool starts sucking all the CPU then
routing updates may not get done in a timely fashion. Part of our tuning
is to make sure the existing tools can't do this to us. Your tools?

>>J-TAC is great. Hope it stays that way!

Me too!
GK