Re: [j-nsp] OLIVE install

From: Jeff Bartig (jeffb@doit.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 01:58:25 EST

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 02:10:07PM -0500, Paul Traina wrote:
> No, they are not. The olive software load was originally intended for
> testing the software before we had
> the hardware up and running. It was then, upon rare occasions, used for
> training purposes. However,
> it has never been supported, and never been licensed for use. It doesn't
> work well, we no longer use it
> internally (since now we have M5s and M10s in the routing protocols lab).
>
> Please do not distribute it, please do not install it, if you have it,
> please wipe it.

Paul,

I just found your e-mail while cleaning up my inbox. I had saved it,
since I wanted to reply, but it got burried.

I'm rather unhappy to hear that Juniper is discontinuing the Olive.
I am currently in the process of evaluating the Juniper vs Cisco
GSR. One of the important selling points of the Juniper was the
fact that the Olive was available.

I work in an education/non-profit environment where we don't have
huge R&D budgets to outfit a large equipment lab. The Olive appeared
to be an ideal way to inexpensively outfit our lab with devices
that could run Junos. I've been playing around with an Olive
already, so I understand that there are limitations of what the
Olive is capable of performing. The Olive is capable of 80% of
what I would do in the lab, though. Examples include training
staff and routing policy design. The Olive appears to work great
for this type of application.

On the Cisco side of things, I also have this capability. Cisco
makes their IOS 12.0S code available for quite a few of their
platforms, all the way down to the 2500. I am able to run similar
IOS code on old junk routers (2500, 4500, etc) in the lab and get
about 80% of my work done.

Any chance that Juniper will not discontinue the Olive?

Thanks for listening.

Jeff

--
Jeff Bartig                  |  University of Wisconsin - Madison
1210 W Dayton, Rm B263       |  Division of Information Technology