RE: [j-nsp] BGP memory consumption

From: Tony Mumm (tonym@netins.net)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 09:44:07 EST

Our peer there is also doing similar memory usage..roughly 117 MB for
that many peers. The question I counter with, is PFE memory
requirements. It appears that the pfe uses 8 MB of super high
quality RAM to record next-hops for the IP2 ASIC (assumption on my
part). From show pfe route summary, it appears a router is using
5.8 of this to run ~100k routes. Now I don't know how this is going
to scale in relation to the number of routes, but if you just use a
simple one to one relationship the router will top out at around 140k
routes. This number is based on roughly 59 bits per route in
memory... again, entirely guesstimates.

Obviously the rest of the pfe subsystem has 64 MB of ram...but I
don't know how this applies..

I'm not trying to be negative here, just want to see if anyone else
has thought of this?

Thanks,

Tony