Re: [j-nsp] OLIVE install

From: Jeff Bartig (jeffb@doit.wisc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 15:30:04 EST

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 02:09:23PM -0500, Martin, Christian wrote:
> One thing to note is that Juniper's pricing, on a per-port basis, is cheaper
> than Cisco's with a good discount. When you factor in modularity of the M
> series, you get a better up-front cost and can do incremental upgrades to
> get the ports you need.

Yes, that is definately a plus for Juniper in the evaluation. It can
help to offset the expense of outfitting a lab.

Smartnet costs are also an issue. I'm not sure if Cisco made a
policy change or was just forgetting to in the past, but they have
now started charging us Smartnet fees per line card in our GSR's.
The pricing one of the Juniper sales people have given me is much
more attractive and is per chassis rather than per card.

Related to support, I've also been noting the very positive comments
people have been making about the support the JTAC gives.

Jeff

--
Jeff Bartig                  |  University of Wisconsin - Madison
1210 W Dayton, Rm B263       |  Division of Information Technology