RE: Juniper as egress LSR: to penultimate hop pop, or not?

From: Bora Akyol (akyol@pluris.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 11:07:34 EDT

<Note the cross-posting to other groups>

Dan

For hierarchical LSPs, there are instances where you would like to
have the ability to do double lookups. It also is necessary if you
want to preserve the EXP bits for the ultimate HOP to see them. It
again becomes necessary if you are doing L2VPNs and carrying packets
other than IP.

I think that PHP is an architectural mistake made to cover for the
inability of routers to do the double lookups (a.k.a. hack).

Bora