RE: Ping VRRP virtual IP address

From: Martin, Christian (cmartin@gnilink.net)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 23:45:36 EDT

> The spec is vague. It says you should, and you shouldn't.
> We belive the "should" is slightly more clear/strong.

Agreed. I am surprised it passed last call, in fact. In particular, the
terminology isn't clear for all the different routers, the coverage of ARP
and ICMP is minimal, and the requirements are poorly scoped ( for example,
if a packet is sent to a backup VRRP router from an interface other than the
LAN that the VRRP group(s) is(are) on, and that packet is destined for the
master router's real address, the backup router should forward the packet
out the LAN to the masters real address. The spec prohibits this.)

Perhaps I should have written, "Juniper follows the spec correctly, although
that is a subjective assessment, as the spec is vague."

regards,
chris