Re: Juniper as egress LSR: to penultimate hop pop, or not?

From: Kireeti Kompella (kireeti@juniper.net)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 14:01:41 EDT

Hi Robert,

> The only use of exp-null today would be to pass the QoS info in the EXP
> bits to the tailend as otherwise this info is lost at PHP and tail has
> no way of knowing how to schedule the packets (of course assuming that
> QoS in IP header is different then the one in EXP field - something what
> we call QoS transparency :).

Ah, so you don't want to touch the IP QoS/ToS bits. Okay, got it.

Somewhere in this conversation, there was mention that ciscos had
trouble with label 0/label 3 (and ditto junipers). I can speak for
the latter; can you comment on the former? If there is no issue with
using label 0, should Juniper simply go back to using label 0 always?
I'd rather not be putting any more knobs than are really necessary ...

What if the label stack has depth > 1? PHP in that case? Bit yucky,
but doable.

Kireeti.