RE: [j-nsp] IPSec performance benchmarks for M40 and M160

From: David Newman (dnewman@networktest.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 17:09:03 EDT

Hi there,

I conducted the Light Reading tests and I've also been involved in several
comparisons of IPSec devices, most recently a 12-product bakeoff published
here:

http://www.commweb.com/article/COM20000912S0009

I don't know whether JNPR boxen support IPSec gateway functions; given their
role as core devices I'd be surprised if they did.

Out at the edges it is true that IPSec can seriously degrade performance.
How seriously? On 100Base-T test beds, I've seen throughput drop from 95
Mbit/s to as low as 2 Mbit/s when IPSec crypto and authentication are
enabled. Latency also jumps because of authentication, encryption, and
encapsulation.

Hardware acceleration has brought several vendors to the point where they
can handle 100-Mbit/s circuits comfortably. The next big challenge is IPSec
at gigabit rates. Folks like Cisco, Netscreen, and Nokia are looking to get
there.

There were a lot of bogus performance claims made with the 100-Mbit/s
products, and I suspect we'll see lots of smoke around gigabit claims as
well. When vendors give you IPSec performance numbers some questions to ask
include:

--what packet sizes did you use? (much easier to get good numbers with long
packets)
--what crypto did you use? (DES is easy but insecure; 3DES is better)
--what message authentication algorithm did you use? (SHA-1 and MD5 are the
only good answers here)
--how many concurrent IPSec connections can you handle? (and by concurrent
be sure each has its own security association)

In the absence of hard numbers, I hope these guidelines are helpful in
evaluating IPSec performance claims.

Regards,
David Newman
Network Test