Some questions about SYSMON

From: Jeroen Heijungs (Jeroen.Heijungs@Het-Muziektheater.nl)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 09:46:28 EDT

Hello,

I am fairly new to Sysmon, and I very content with it,
but I have a few questions, and a few comments:

- I could not find anything about a history file, it is not possible to
build one?
  would like to be able to tell people (next day or week) that between ..
and ..
  the device was down, or was up

- dependency, I would like to have an OR dependency:
  device A must be polled only if device B OR device C is running or both
  at the moment it is a AND dependency (is it?)

- what exactly means the column "Last Outage"
  it looks like the time elapsed since last time device came up
  is it not better to have the time elapsed since device went down?

- what exactly means the column "Count"
  it is not incremented after every polling round
  but when is it then?

- in the column "Notified" it says YES, but there is no mail sent
  because I have it not yet configured. Does this column say
  YES when it has reached the value of "numfailures"?

- what is the calculation made for the "Uptime" column?

- what is exactly the text in the column "Status", so far I have seen:
  up, down, conn timed out, not pingable. What is the difference?

- I have changed the colors, but whatever I enter as the value for
  upcolor, recentcolor or downcolor I always get an error message:
  "sysmond in free(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense"
  but the colors are there as I want them.

- I have one device which is always UP (Hub) and it is also reported
  UP by sysmon (green, 100%), but in the column "Time failed" there
  is a time recorded, how is that possible?

thanks in advance for any answers!

regards
Jeroen Heijungs
Het Muziektheater, Amsterdam