What is the ping timeout and is it configurable?

From: Simon White (simon@mtds.com)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 05:54:12 EDT

I have been looking through the source code but since I know very little
C I have been unable to tell much more than the general structure.

What I want to know is where the timeout for ping responses is defined.
I can see the loops and stuff but don't see any particular way to gauge
the timeout.

Also, the equipment I am pinging cannot all be NTP synchronised; is
there any allowance for replies coming back timestamped a couple minutes
either way from the original ICMP echo packet send? Or is this
irrelevant?

Why am I asking?

Because I get frequent "host down" messages only to have them back up 2
minutes later, and I suspect that it is just ICMP replies taking over
500ms to get back, perhaps.

--
|-Simon White
|-Internet Services Manager