Re: Object has no relationsbip

From: Jared Mauch (jared@puck.nether.net)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 15:45:19 EDT

        I need to better document and clear up some of the errors
it generates.

        To clarify:

        the argument following the "root =" keyword should be quoted.

        eg: root = "localhost";

        The object for localhost should be something
similar to this:

object localhost {
        ip "127.0.0.1";
        desc "whatever-you-want";
        type ping;
};

to do stuff like what you want, Rob, the objects should look like this:

object mailserver.core.com {
        ip "hostname.core.com";
        type ping;
        desc "hostname-ping";
        dep "localhost";
};

object mailserver.core.com-pop3 {
        ip "hostname.core.com";
        type pop3;
        username "foo";
        password "bar";
        dep "mailserver.core.com";
        desc "mailserver-pop3";
};

object mailserver.core.com-smtp {
        ip "hostname.core.com";
        type smtp;
        desc "mailserver-smtp";
        dep "mailserver.core.com";
};

        I think this will give you the desired results.

        Currently if there is no relationship of an object via
dependencies to the object declared as 'root' and it is an island
object, it is not monitored. Is there a general consensus that this
should be changed? (I'm open to feedback). My concern is if we end
up with an 'island' object, and then someone makes it have some
other object depend upon this, how do I determine if a dependency is
satisfied? (see my dilema? it's a tough question imho).

        - Jared