Re: not a valid dns name

From: Daniel J. Luke (dluke@geeklair.net)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 14:06:19 EST

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 02:54:28PM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
> This isn't one of my test platforms but there
> are people on the sysmon-help list that have/use OS/X

Like me ;-)

> I think this is a "bug" with the C library on OS/X
> whereby gethostbyname("127.0.0.1") returns NULL. OS/X is the only
> OS that does this that i've found.

Nope.

OSX 1.2 (think Rhapsody) had this annoying bug. This was fixed in DP4 (or before).

I just wrote a simple test program on 10.1.1 (Darwin 5.1) to verify that it works correctly.

There is some wierdness with localhost/127.0.0.1 when classic is running, however (although IIRC it's only an issue from within classic).

> Yeah, you need to use hostnames ..

You shouldn't anymore.

I'm going to build a new version of sysmon and see if I can replicate the problem.

--
Daniel J. Luke