[alcatel-nsp] Question about Service QoS Policies on 7750SR

Mark Griffin Mark.Griffin at hawaiiantel.com
Mon Feb 23 18:38:43 EST 2009

You are losing me a bit on what you are actually trying to do.  Is there
an actual design you are working on or are you just trying to get a
better feel for how the Alcatel routers work?

In regards to schedulers it's my understanding that schedulers don't
reserve anything.  They are simple rules to condition traffic.  They
have no meaning in so far as how a port actually conditions traffic.  I
believe "obtained bandwidth" refers to bandwidth defined in the root
scheduler that a sap ingress/egress queue policy references which seems
to be what you are alluding to in your first interpretation.  So if I
configured:

  scheduler-policy "bandwidth" create

                        tier 1

                scheduler "1.5M" create

                    rate 1500 cir 1500

                exit

The "obtained bandwidth" is 1500 based on (I think) the CIR.  Maybe
"obtained bandwidth" is a little misleading because I actually haven't
obtained or reserved anything from a port stand point.  All I have done
is rate or shaped any traffic from a queue that references the scheduler
to 1.5mbs.

The same scheduler policy can be applied across multiple ports or saps.
This leads me to believe that a scheduler policy or a scheduler has no
relevance to actually port bandwidth allocation.  So there is no
notation of dividing out bandwidth in a scheduler policy from one port
to the next or one sap to the next.  It can only allocate bandwidth to
its children tiers.

In the case of having more then one SAP defined on the same port and you
want all those SAPs to have an equal chance of sending traffic and
ensure that all traffic is prioritized equally across all SAPs then that
is when you have to look at either a multi-service site policy or a port
scheduler as mentioned previously.

I really don't understand what you mean by "multiple tier-1 schedulers
defined on the same SAP".  As you know we associate traffic to a given
scheduler via the SAP ingress and egress policy via the parent command
under the queues themselves, while the SAP itself references the
scheduler policy.  While you can create a sap policy where the queues
referenced different schedulers if the schedulers don't reside under the
same scheduler policy then I don't think the parent command would do
anything.  Maybe I just don't understand your question.

One thing I do get a little fuzzy on is where the arbitrator fits in.  I
think the arbitrator is the final conditioning of traffic before actual
port serialization or transport through the switch fabric in which case
it would be after queue scheduling.  So in mind after we have done all
these fancy schedulers, traffic still goes through the low priority and
high priority pass.