[alcatel-nsp] unbalanced traffic on GigEs in a LAG

GARCIA DEL RIO Diego Diego.Garcia_Del_Rio at alcatel-lucent.com
Mon Mar 8 22:10:33 EST 2010

Hi Guys,

The load balancing really depends on whether the system can see the IP
or MAC layer of the services or not, so, if the node is taking traffic
through a SAP or a network port but traffic is pure IP-over-Ethernet
when it enters the node, then traffic will be nicely balanced and hashed
based on SRC/DST ports and IPs. If the node is acting as a pure LSR,
though, we don't normally look at the upper layers (anything beyond the
label stack) as this can cause some issues with Ethernet-over-MPLS
traffic being mistakenly identified as IPv4 or IPv6 (if a 0x4 or 0x6 is
present where the IP version field is, we would identify the packet as
IP while its in reality Ethernet).

7.0 R5 (I think) introduced the following command:

configure system lsr-load-balancing lbl-ip

which allows you to look at both IP and MPLS layers in an LSR node. This
should really be used in pure IP environments, though in some cases, it
might be applicable to mixed services (L2 MPLS VPNs and L3 MPLS VPNs).
Please check the documentation and your local Alcatel-Lucent point of
contact for more information.

Cheers,

Diego Garcia del Rio
701 E. Middlefield Rd