[alcatel-nsp] unbalanced traffic on GigEs in a LAG

Alexander Saveliev saveliev at mostelekom.net
Tue Mar 9 02:03:44 EST 2010

Hello!

We had same problem two years ago. SR-routers assign labels for L3 VPNs on
per-vpn basis. And balances traffic on P-router--P-router links only with
MPLS header. This is true for iom1 and iom-20g-b and for Release 6.1 and
earlier. We tried to L4-headers method, but we didn't see that it worked.

The way to solve the problem with SR-router is to buy new iom2 cards and use
entropy labels, or to buy new iom3/imm cards and use 'lsr-load-balancing
lbl-ip' method. Today we have a LAG on imm's and it balances fine.

But for the whole network upgrade we thought that it would be economicaly
better not to buy many new SR line cards, but to build a DWDM network. So we
do not have now P-router--P-router links with traffic from several 7750
PE-routers. We have only PE-PE links.