[alcatel-nsp] BGP mutipath, load balance 7750

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Wed Mar 18 22:30:06 EDT 2020

Från: mikael sundqvist <mst at nirvana.se>

If you use a policy to set the origin on both default routes
to the same value (igp,egp or incomplete) you will get load
balancing for outgoing traffic in that R1 will prefer it’s
local peer while R2 will prefer it’s local peer.

If you would like R1 (and R2) to use both uplinks you could
turn on ecmp 2 and bgp eibgp-loadbalance in the vprn on both
nodes.  This will load balance in the upstream direction but
doesn’t change anything for downstream.

I had a quick look at some bgp looking glasses and it looks
like you are connected to IP-Only and Tele2, and while IPO
announces your /20 prefix as is, Tele2 was announcing it with
a ”pre-pend” but I have no clue if this is intentional or not,
or if it was just on the looking glasses I looked and this
specific prefix. Anyway, to influence downstream traffic you
would need another method …

From: Dejan Tepic <dejan at karlsborgsenergi.se>

Interesting about Tele2 and pre-pend. It is not intentional
on our side. Also…we are receiving more traffic from Tele2.
This is what I’m trying to “correct”.

I was hoping that by balancing outgoing traffic it would
affect incoming to some degree.

Can you send back to the list your findings in case someone
searches the archives for a similar answer?

Thanks!
scott