[a-nsp] 7050SX MPLS ?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jan 25 13:48:56 EST 2021

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 06:58:42PM +0100, Bryan Holloway wrote:
> I think I already know the answer to this, but here goes:
>
> Arista DCS-7050SX-64
> Hardware version:    02.10
> Software image version: 4.21.10M
>
> Was successful in turning up MPLS/LDP between a pair of neighbors no
> problem.
>
> I can see the peers and addresses bound to those peers, etc.
>
> However, when I bring up BGP to a pair of upstream RRs, I run into MTU
> issues. 1496 bytes (no DF) works fine; 1500 does not.
>
> As soon as I kill MPLS, it works.
>
>  From the docs I've read and the usual Google-cranking, I get the
> impression that the 7050 will happy "pass-through" MPLS traffic, but it
> won't let you terminate anything on that particular L3 switch.

The description of what you are doing is a bit fuzzy to me.

Are you trying to enable MPLS *on the Arista*, or just "pass through"
as in "there is a VLAN on the Arista, which is connecting two other
routers"?

What the 7050SX will do is "you can connect two other routers and *they*
can do MPLS" (even with big MTU).

What it will not do is "participate in MPLS" (MPLS-P).   I wonder that
you could configure anything at all, given that this is very much not
supported on the Trident and Trident2 series.  The SX3 series has some
limited support for MPLS-P and PE - as in "it's not officially supported
but some things can be turned on and might actually work".

gert