[a-nsp] 7050SX MPLS ?

steve ulrich sulrich at botwerks.org
Mon Jan 25 14:17:02 EST 2021

bryan -

i'm not entirely clear as to what you're trying to do here.  when you're
talking about turning up MPLS/LDP between a pair of neighbors, i assume one
of these neighbors is the aforementioned 7050SX? (which has pretty limited
MPLS capabilities)  if so, i would expect that to have
limited/unpredictable results.  the control plane likely does its thing,
the linkages to the forwarding plane for the X-series is another matter.

your last paragraph is a reasonable summary of the state of things wrt to
X-series switches.  though there are some operations that are supported.
(see https://eos.arista.com/eos-4-23-0f/mpls-support-on-x-series-switches/)

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 11:58 AM Bryan Holloway <bryan at shout.net> wrote:

> I think I already know the answer to this, but here goes:
>
> Arista DCS-7050SX-64
> Hardware version:    02.10
> Software image version: 4.21.10M
>
> Was successful in turning up MPLS/LDP between a pair of neighbors no
> problem.
>
> I can see the peers and addresses bound to those peers, etc.
>
> However, when I bring up BGP to a pair of upstream RRs, I run into MTU
> issues. 1496 bytes (no DF) works fine; 1500 does not.
>
> As soon as I kill MPLS, it works.
>
>  From the docs I've read and the usual Google-cranking, I get the
> impression that the 7050 will happy "pass-through" MPLS traffic, but it
> won't let you terminate anything on that particular L3 switch.
>
> Is that a correct assumption?
>
> Seems to work fine on the 7280s.
>
> Thank you all in advance,
>
>                 - bryan