New name for this list???

Jim Lowman jmlowman at IX.NETCOM.COM
Tue Apr 8 21:01:08 EDT 1997

On 04/05/97 13:13:46 you wrote:

>Regarding the name, I can see where there could be some confusion as well
>as a 'little miffyness' by the original BA'ers.  Since a rose by any name
>is still a rose, 'BALIST' 'TOOBGEAR', or whatever, is fine with me.

I would not object to a *reasonable* change to the name of the list, either.  If nothing else, it would make for a more peaceful coexistence
among the members of either (or both) lists.

>In philosophy, I saw the original BA'er group going PAY PER VIEW as not
>only bad but downright evil.  I saw it as contrary to the free spirit of
>the internet and by example, starting a very dangerous for fee trend on
>all of the other mailing reflectors.
>
>For instance, if we ALL payed for every subscription service, it would have
>an adverse impact to freedom of information on the internet.  By this I
>mean it would impact our pocketbooks to the point we'd no doubt cut back
>on the number of subscription lists we individually receive.  Since we
>each potentially have something to contribute, the other list members are
>the losers when members go away.

I envisioned the same thing.  I held out, on principle, for quite a while.
After trying the free subscription, I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet.  At that time, though, Jack's list was the only game in town.  The future of the rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors newsgroup was uncertain, and was in the midst of wrangling between the supporters of the proposal and the "usenet purists."

So far, I haven't noticed much duplication among the newsgroup and the two lists, with the possible exception of equipment for sale.

With the subscription cost rising to $20 soon, I may weigh my decision to
stay on Jack's list very carefully, especially in light of the other two resources.  Again, it's not an issue of money; rather, one of principle.

Many hams invest their own money so as to further the enjoyment of the hobby for others.  Numerous hams operate open repeaters and BBS systems
at their own expense, or with little financial support from those who use them.  Altruism is in the spirit of ham radio.

>My thanks to Dave Kelley and the City of Tempe, may their filaments
>forever glow!

And mine, as well.

73 de Jim - KF6CR