11 Tube regen?

Gary Pewitt gpewitt at EXECPC.COM
Sun Dec 7 14:23:15 EST 1997

I saw an add for a very interesting radio in the November
1939 QST on page 97.  It's an Edwin I. Guthman & Co.
11 tube communication receiver.  It's called the U-50 Super.  No, not
superhet.  It sold wired with tubes for $69.98.  Kit price less tubes,
cabinet, and speaker was $49.95.  6 bands, 525 to 62,000 kc. RF stage (3
gang condenser).  12 watts output!  Improved noise silencer.
"Complete with New Gun-Sight Tuning Pre-Selection Stage this new receiver
provides quiet DX thru controlled re-generation, and a socket provision for
adding 100 kc. oscillator giving built in frequency check."

What gets me is trying to figure out how they used 11 tubes in a regen.
Lets see a tuned rf stage, a detector, a couple of af amp stages followed
by a push pull audio out (12 watts), and a couple of rectifier tubes for
full wave rectification.  The noise silencer and s meter could have
accounted for two more.  That's 10.  And a full wave rectifier really only
needs one tube.  So I see 9 tubes.  There is no magic eye tube, it had an
s-meter.
I have been wanting a really good regen receiver.  Not a one, two, or three
tuber.  Not that there is anything wrong with them, I just want a really
nice one like the Navy rigs.  I'd love to build this one if I could find
a schematic, parts list, manual, or (dream on Gary) an unbuilt kit.
An old one I could refurbish would be fine.

Anyone got such a rare beast in their garage/attic/basement?  Any documents,
paper, leads to information?
73  to all Gary
Name: Gary Pewitt N9ZSV/KT
      6120 W. Calumet Rd. Apt 204