RAO Receiver Questions

Dave Hollander davidh at GETNET.COM
Mon Dec 8 08:44:59 EST 1997

I picked up an National RAO receiver at the Mesa, AZ hamfest on Saturday.
Coincidentally, Lock, W1NML also picked up an RAO at the same hamfest.

This unit was filthy and sitting in the bag of someone's utility trailer.
Paid $10 with the original manual and parts manual. I will probably have
more than $10 in medical bills from carrying it to my car and lugging it
up the stairs to my 2nd floor apt. This sucker is heavy - around 80
pounds. Opened the radio up and it is complete and unmodified except for
the addition of an SO-239 for the antenna. No rust and no mouse piss
tragedy either. Nothing inside except dust, dirt and a few spider webs (
an advantage of living in the desert). Tuning dial was frozen from dried
up grease - now freed up again - also found one bad tube. After I deox
the controls and contacts, I am ready to fire this up however I want to
use the variac approach. I have never done this and was wondering what
the recommended method is for using the variac to reform the lytics.

Also, any list members have this receiver or similar that have any
comments or suggestions. Any pictures on the web of this beast? This is
not my first catacomb receiver as I have an NC-200 on my desk in daily
use and also have an NC-100A and NC2-40D.

Tnx, 73 and seasons greetings

Dave Hollander N7RK

*

Dave  N7RK -  Webmaster CADXA
Phoenix, Arizona         *DXCC Honor Roll*    *WAZ#23 - 75 Meter SSB*

                 ex-N7RK/ZB2, VK2ERK, ZM0AJN, WB6NRK, WN6IWX

Boatanchor Collector Extraordinaire preferring Hallicrafters, National
and what ever else looks interesting!

                                  \\-//
davidh at getnet.com                 (o!o)
http://www.getnet.com/~davidh
-
E-Mail Address                                        My Home Page

Visit the Central Arizona DX Association Home page --- http://cadxa.org

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS