RAO Progress Report

Dave Hollander davidh at GETNET.COM
Thu Dec 11 23:04:10 EST 1997

Finally got to work on the $10 RAO that I picked up at the Mesa AZ
swapmeet last weekend. Being the impatient type, I yanked all of the
tubes and applied ac power...no smoke or burning smells and ac voltage
out of the power transformer. After letting it run for a while, I turned
it off and stuck in the rectifier tube and fired it up again and measured
the voltage on the lytics. No Problem! Decided to go for broke and
plugged in all of the tubes and connected a speaker. Fired it up again,
set the bandswitch to the am broadcast band and bingo audio and signals
and sounding pretty good. Next went to band 2 and copied WWV at 2.5 mhz
than 5 mhz and some short wave broadcast on 5-6 mhz. Radio sounds OK but
can definitley use an aligment. Now the major problem I noticed is
mechanical. Besides the main tuning slipping badly, the tuning cap
appears to have a short as you can hear it go dead wwhen it approaches
maximum capacitance and the tuning cap also is stopping a ways before
hitting full mesh. Looks like I will have to remove the front panel to
get at the gear train and than try to figure out what is going on.
Hopefully not serious but the main tuning capacitor having a possible
mechanical short is not a good sign.  By the way the radio is completely
originally except for a SO-239 connector added for the antenna. How the
mechnical problems developed is a very good question. Maybe that is why
the original owner put it aside many years ago.

On a sad note, UPS has now done one better than smash a boatanchor, they
have lost it. I purchased an NC-46 and speaker from a ham outside of
Toronto. The radio was packed and shipped and according to the UPS
tracking on their web site, it entered the international shipping center
near Buffalo, NY on November 21st and than vanished. They have managed to
lose a 50 lb box and although they have sent out a tracer, they were
extremely non-chalant on the phone about it! At this point I am not
holding out much hope.

73,

Dave Hollander N7RK

*

Dave  N7RK -  Webmaster CADXA
Phoenix, Arizona         *DXCC Honor Roll*    *WAZ#23 - 75 Meter SSB*

                 ex-N7RK/ZB2, VK2ERK, ZM0AJN, WB6NRK, WN6IWX

Boatanchor Collector Extraordinaire preferring Hallicrafters, National
and what ever else looks interesting!

                                  \\-//
davidh at getnet.com                 (o!o)
http://www.getnet.com/~davidh
-
E-Mail Address                                        My Home Page

Visit the Central Arizona DX Association Home page --- http://cadxa.org

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS