RAO Progress Report

Joe Buch joseph.buch at DOL.NET
Fri Dec 12 05:14:07 EST 1997

Dave Hollander <davidh at GETNET.COM> wrote:

>Now the major problem I noticed is
>mechanical. Besides the main tuning slipping badly, the tuning cap
>appears to have a short as you can hear it go dead wwhen it approaches
>maximum capacitance and the tuning cap also is stopping a ways before
>hitting full mesh. Looks like I will have to remove the front panel to
>get at the gear train and than try to figure out what is going on.
>Hopefully not serious but the main tuning capacitor having a possible
>mechanical short is not a good sign.

Look carefully at the rotors of each section of the variable tuning
capacitor.  It is likely your problem is nothing more serious than a bent
rotor plate shorting against an adjacent stator plate. Once you rotate it
far enough, the bent plate emerges from the mesh of stator plates, the short
clears, and the set works OK.  A bent plate would also explain the binding
you are experiencing.

                                                 \////
                                                ( o o )
                                         _____oOO_(_)__OOo_____
For every action, there is an equal     |  _               _  |
and opposite criticism                  | |_| @ @  @  @ @ |_| |
Joe Buch                                |  @  @ |     |  @    |
Amateur Radio N2JB                      |       |_____|       |
joseph.buch at dol.net                     |    @  @ /-\ @   /-\ |