REVIEW: R-390/URR - R-390A/URR Handbook, Paolo Viappiana, 1996

Michael Crestohl mc at SOVER.NET
Sat Dec 27 22:54:06 EST 1997

REVIEW: R-390/URR - R-390A/URR Handbook, Paolo Viappiana, Editrice Il Rostro

Okay - what am I doing writing a review in English of a book written in
Italian?  To make matters worse I don't have much knowledge of the
language either!

Well, first of all I would like to state that there is enough information
taken from the various US Army TM11s, charts, diagrams and figures that
know no linguistic boundaries to make the Handbook worthwhile to someone
who does not have access to the official documentation.  Of course, some
degree of familiarity with the language would be a great asset here or
a friend who can help.

The fact that a writer in Italy chose to write a book about a forty year-old
US military and government radio receiver really intrigued me but it only
backs up the claim that these radios are extremely good for listening to
the portion of the spectrum they cover - 500 KHz to 32.000 MHz, AM and
CW.  Add-ons and circuit modifications will also make SSB signals
intelligible but since most shortwave broadcasts are AM the receiver
is popular among serious hobbyists who like to tinker with their
equipment.

The Handbook contains 20 Capitolos (Chapters) and covers a lot of ground;
ie: technical data, modifications, history, trivia, statistics, lore and
legend about this receiver.  Paolo's work covers "la famiglia 390"
which includes the R-389, R-390, R-390A, R-391 and R-392 and the differences
between them, particularly the R-390, R-390A  R-725 and R-1247.  It is very
convenient to have block diagrams and tube lists of both receivers in one
book if you are interested in both models.  One of the things it conveys
very nicely is that the R_390 and R-390A receivers are VERY different.  Paolo
has included a detailed chart of contract numbers, contractors, years of
manufacture and estimates how many were made in each contract.  I am
curious how accurate those production figures are, since Tom Marcotte,
compiler of the on-line list has not publically speculated in the numbers,
at least that I have seen.

As far as illustrations go, Paolo has borrowed liberally from the TMs and
these are, of course, in English.  There are mention of some of the
officially modified models, such as with LSB and SSB, Diode Load output
on the front panel and a whole chapter that lists the TM11s and NAVSHIPS
manuals for all models and some sources for them. Also included is
mention of the Boatanchors List on theporch.com and how to subscribe.
There is a ten page bibliography or articles, mostly in English, with
familiar and knowledgeable names like Kleronomos, Rippel, Langford
that is extremely valuable and this compilation alone is well worth the
price of the book.

I looked in the mods and did not see the very important C-553 mod
to change the notorious Vitamin Q plate blocking capacitor on the plate
of V501 (1st IF amplifier) to a .01/600V Sprague "Orange Drop" - cheap
insurance on your four Collins mechanical filters recommended by Chuck
Rippel.  In fairness to the author it may be in there somewhere and my
ignorance of his language must be forgiven if this is the case.

The book is available directly from the publisher - write them at:
Editrice Il Rostro di Patrizio Giovene & C., 20155 Milano, Via Monte
Generoso 8 Italy, or Fax: 02-2133869.  They will mail you a copy, enclosing
an invoice for 35.000 Italian Lire which is about $25.00 US.  You must pay
in Lire and can get from a bank or currency exchange.

I am hoping that the book will be translated into English one day.  However,
in my opinion THE R-390/URR HANDBOOK contains enough useful information
that it is worth getting if no other detailed sources are available.

%T      R-390/URR - R-390A/URR Handbook
%A      Paolo Voappiani
%I      Editrice Il Rostro
%C      Milano (Italy)
%D      1996
%O      In Italian
%G      ISBN: none
%P      143 pages, paperbound
%K      Radio Receivers, Short-Wave, Military, Collins Radio, R-390

(C) 1997
Michael Crestohl
Cambridge Vermont, USA
mc at shore.net

DISCLAIMER:  I have no interest, financial or otherwise, in the success or
failure of the book or materials reviewed herewith, nor have I received any
compensation (other than a review copy requested by me) from anyone who has.
All opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Other Internet and Aviation book/software reviews by me can be obtained
by anonymous FTP from:  x2ftp.oulu.fi in the /pub/books/crestohl directory.

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS