R274 (SX 73) Trials and tribulations of restoration

hanulec hanulec at CARDION.COM
Tue Jun 3 15:04:36 EDT 1997

1) I'm having a lot of trouble achieving specified dial accuracy. The
alignment procedure is per the manual. The Hi - Lo setpoints are right
on, but in between the accuracy is worst then the specified .2 percent.
Also above the Hi set point the dial really is in error. I'm going to
measure the padder caps which are not adjusted in the procedure and have
a chassis note of "No adjustment". Dial accuracy on the BC band is't as
good as my Philco cathedral.

2)Band 6 (30 MHz to 56 MHz) is almost dead - needs about 50 uvolts to
hear anything. The RF stages are peaking normally but they just don't
seem to have any gain. I noticed that the LO is at half frequency, in
other words, a second harmonic mixer. This is not even mentioned in the
manual. They must have been embarrassed. This sure adds to the spurious
signal problem - more spurious then signals on this band. Maybe if the
RF gain was adequate it wouldn't be a problem.

Certainly doesn't perform as well as would be expected for this class of
receiver. On the plus side, the gear drive with ball bearings everywhere
sure is nice (smooth) after I cleaned it up.

Missing the tuning knob (has a built in slip clutch) and the dial lock.
It seems like every R274 is missing these parts!

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe Hanulec
K2CVP