R274 (SX 73) Trials and tribulations of restoration

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Tue Jun 3 18:18:04 EDT 1997

At 07:04 PM 6/3/97 +0000, hanulec wrote:
>1) I'm having a lot of trouble achieving specified dial accuracy. The
>alignment procedure is per the manual. The Hi - Lo setpoints are right
>on, but in between the accuracy is worst then the specified .2 percent.

Mine is off a little too but I really don't care since my R274 is used only
as a WWV clock to feed the left channel of my reel to reel recorder.

>2)Band 6 (30 MHz to 56 MHz) is almost dead - needs about 50 uvolts to
>hear anything. The RF stages are peaking normally but they just don't
>seem to have any gain. I noticed that the LO is at half frequency, in
>other words, a second harmonic mixer. This is not even mentioned in the
>manual. They must have been embarrassed. This sure adds to the spurious
>signal problem - more spurious then signals on this band. Maybe if the
>RF gain was adequate it wouldn't be a problem.

I think it goes to about 60 mhz as I can pick up Ch 2 audio on the set.
All I ever get on 30 to 60 is pagers. Never hear any FM (slope tuned) voice
on that band. To this reciever six meters is always dead!

>Certainly doesn't perform as well as would be expected for this class of
>receiver. On the plus side, the gear drive with ball bearings everywhere
>sure is nice (smooth) after I cleaned it up.

Good for general SWL'ing though. The lowest band only gets local stations
and the more powerful DX for me. However it does pretty good between 3 & 30
mhz.
Like I said, mine is a clock. IO'd rather DX on my R390a!

>Missing the tuning knob (has a built in slip clutch) and the dial lock.
>It seems like every R274 is missing these parts!

My knob is replaced. I'm missing the dial lock and my S meter is not original.
Somebody put an microammeter in it's place.
One of these days I might do some repairs on the old R274 to get it "up to
snuff" but right now it doesn't need it.

Robert M. Bratcher Jr.
E-mail to:
bratcher at worldnet.att.net
Record collector, 8mm, super 8, 16 and 35mm Film collector.
Looking for prerecorded reel to reel tape albums.
I like old radio's too.
Collins, Hallicrafters, National & Hammurland are my Favorites!