"AM" vs. DSB

Joel Govostes jwg6 at CORNELL.EDU
Mon Nov 17 15:16:08 EST 1997

Thanks for all of the replies to my inquiry about low power 60's phone
transmitters (screen mod. vs. plate mod.).  The info was both helpful and
interesting.

Now -- DSB.  Several years ago, I owned a Hallicrafters HT-(I think)32,
which I ran in conjunction with a SX111 rcvr.  The tx ran either sideband,
CW, or or "DSB", as it appeared on the mode switch.  This, as I was told by
the ham I obtained the gear from, was compatible with AM, and I did get the
rig going on 3885 for a while, and had many enjoyable QSO's with "real"
am-ers.  It also performed very nicely on SSB.

I never did monitor my own signal, (and the rig operated fine,) but now I
wonder - was the rig only generating the sidebands (both); i.e. was there
no carrier generated in that case (true DSB)?  Or would there have actually
been a carrier, perhaps reduced, compared to a "normal" AM  transmitter -
signal.

Perhaps the DSB was merely a feature to allow for AM compatibility on the
air(?) -- but I never asked -- would the other stations have had to use a
BFO to copy me?

I also have some older radio handbooks which feature DSB transmitter projects.

73...& thanks for any info on this
Joel   N1AEP
Freeville, NY

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov